We recently had an enquiry via our Facebook page about the age of some of our village pubs: we thought this was worth sharing with you.
Public Houses have been part of English life since Roman times. It is certain that there have been pubs in Saxilby for possibly well over 1000 years.
Records for licensed premises begin in 1552, with the introduction of the Alehouse Act. Under this act no-one was allowed to sell beer or ale without the consent of the local Justices of the Peace which could be granted either before the full sessions of the peace or before two justices. Each person licensed by the justices had to enter into a recognizance, or bond, to ensure that good behaviour was maintained in each alehouse. An act of 1729 gave formal approval to the practice of only granting licences annually at special licensing sessions known as Brewster Sessions.
These records survive in the Lincolnshire Archives from 1796, which show Saxilby had three pubs. The licensees were Thomas Cintio, Ann Hird and James Raynor, although unfortunately, the pubs themselves are not named..
The first appearance of a pub by name is in 1791, when an inquest was held at the 'Sun Inn', the house of Widow Hunt.
The 'Sun' appears in several newspaper reports over the next century, when all local inquests were held here.
We can be more confident with our records from the introduction of the first national census in 1841, and the regular publication of trades directories in 1842.
The 1841 census reveals that Saxilby and district had seven licensed premises, although not all were named –
the Oddfellows Arms, which changed names in 1846 to the Robin Hood (landlord Thomas Clark, next to the former DIY on Bridge Street),
the Sun Inn (George Briggs),
the Ship Inn (Bridge Street, Joseph Wheatley),
an un-named beer house on Bridge Street (William Cavill), a further beer house (location unknown, William Sherwood), the Harrows (location unknown, Henry Woodhouse) and
the Buffalo Head (Drinsey Nook, William Bainbridge).
With the arrival of the railway in 1849, a further three pubs were built –
the Mason's Arms (High Street opposite Station Approach, renamed the Station Hotel in 1906, William Simpson),
the Globe Inn (High Street/West Bank junction, William Harrison)
and the Railway Hotel (Joseph Atkinson, renamed the Anglers 1891).
Not all establishments were fully licensed; many were only able to sell beer – the Globe for example, which closed in 1937 with the opening of the Bridge on Gainsborough Road (now Spice Mystery).
It is likely that the oldest pubs were the Ship and the Sun on Bridge Street, although both were renovated or rebuilt in the 19th century.
A newspaper advertisement from 1848 states that the Ship is 'newly-built'.